Italian Heart celebrates Italian beauties in its own festival of Borghi d’Italia. Here is the first of a series of posts on little Italian treasures… Enjoy!
Curtis de Vado is the Latin name which means ” corte” – the large agricultural complex- placed near a ford on Tagliamento river ( exactly on the one of the river’s branches).
The typical home-made sweet from Cordovado, has the name of Spaccafumo, who is a character from the book written by Ippolito Nievo.
It is made of dried figs, raisins, nuts, hazelnuts, pinolos, almonds, arancini and honey. Traditional local cookery is strongly linked to the land: duck, goose, pheasant, birds, wild herbs with polenta, bigoli ( typical local pasta), gnocchi with duck, goose “in umido”.
Typical dishes of Friuli are “muset” and “brovada”: cotechino (pork sausage) with white turnip garnish, covered by black grapes “vinaccia” (remains of wine processing) in hot water.
The actual fortified area of Cordovado, also known as the Castle(the 11th century) is the result of modifications and stratifications carried out during a long period of time, but particularly between the 7th and 19th century.
In the beginning of the Middle Ages, the external chain of walls with rampart, fosse and two towers (still present today), was enclosing an internal space, composed by Episcopal castle, with its own walls, fosse with lift bridge, mastio (a particular kind of fortification) and some other buildings.
Near the castle, there was the village.
The medieval Cordovado is situated in the area of the castle.
Inside, there were some interesting buildings such as Ridolfi Palace; Bozza Marrubini Palace ,an antique captain’s house which interior was frescoed by Francesco Zimolo (1704-1712); the elegant Agricola Palace with its large arches and triforas (particular windows divided in three parts) so typical for Renaissance style.
Inside the wall chain, there is Freschi Piccolomini Palace (1669-1704) previously called Attimis, an impressive construction with some typical Renaissance style lines.
It has three floors with a big gateway, immersed into the beautiful, old green park.
Near the northern gateway, there is Saint Girolamo church ( 14th century).
At the end of the17th century a part of the fortress was demolished or transformed into urban residency.
It became Freschi Piccolomini Palace. The last known description of the Castle, was made by Concordia Bishops in 1856, few years before its complete demolishing.
Beccaris Nonis Palace appeared in the “new village” built in the 16th century.
Cecchini Palace, today’s library, is the Francesco Cecchini’s (1819-1897) legacy.
The Madonna delle Grazie Sanctuary (1603) is a jewel of baroque art, octagonal shape with the beautifully carved ceiling gilded by Cataldo Ferrara (1656-58), ovals painted by Antonio Carneo representing figures of saints and prophets. You can finish your itinerary at the antique Franciscan Convent of Santa Maria di Campagna that became Villa Freschi and the Saint Catherine Oratory with its 15th century frescoes.
blog comments powered by Disqus